- Disconnect battery negative cable from battery and properly isolate to prevent accidental reconnection.
- Relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Install a hose into the fuel filler pipe and drain or siphon the fuel into a storage tank designed for fuel storage.
- Remove any dirt that has accumulated around the fuel pump and fuel lines to prevent the entry of contaminants into the tank during fuel pump removal and installation.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Fuel supply and return line fittings at the fuel pump using fuel line disconnect tools
- Clean the fuel pump module mounting flange and fuel tank mounting surface.
Install or connect the following:
New seal and the fuel pump module using care not to damage the inlet filter and fuel sending unit float arm
- Add a minimum of 10 gallons (38L) of clean fuel to the fuel tank and check for leaks.
- Install a Fuel pressure gauge to the Schrader valve on the fuel injection supply manifold.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF to ON position 5-10 times for 3 second intervals or until the fuel pressure gauge shows at least 35 psi (241 kPa).
- Check for fuel leaks.
- Remove the fuel pressure gauge.
- Start the engine and recheck for fuel leaks.
- Road test the vehicle and check for proper operation.