Completely disassemble the oil pump and thoroughly clean all of the components. Inspect the oil pump gears and housing for wear and/or damage. Insure that the pressure relief valve operates properly and there is no binding or sticking due to varnish or debris. If all of the parts are in proper working condition, lubricate the gears and relief valve, and assemble the pump.Removal & Installation
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
- Rotate the inner rotor of the oil pump to align with the flats on the crankshaft and install the oil pump flush with the cylinder block. Install the 4 retaining bolts and tighten to 72-106 inch lbs. (8-12 Nm).
- Clean the oil pick-up tube and replace the O-ring.
- Place the pick-up tube on the oil pump and hand start the 2 retaining bolts. Install the bolt retaining the pick-up tube to the main bearing stud spacer hand tight. Tighten the pick-up tube-to-oil pump bolts to 72-106 inch lbs. (8-12 Nm). Tighten the pick-up tube to main bearing stud spacer bolt to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).
Install or connect the following:
New engine oil filter
- Fill the crankcase.
- Start the engine and check for leaks and proper engine oil pressure.
- Road test the vehicle and check for proper engine operation.