Removal & Installation
The electrical power to the air suspension system must be shut off prior to hoisting, jacking or towing an air suspension vehicle. This can be accomplished by turning off the air suspension switch located in the LH side of the luggage compartment. Failure to do so can result in unexpected inflation or deflation of the air springs, which can result in shifting of the vehicle during these operations.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Disconnect battery negative cable from battery and properly isolate to prevent accidental reconnection.
Remove or disconnect the following:
NOTEPull down on the parking brake cable at the control end. Push up on the parking brake adjuster clip to lock the adjuster.
WARNINGTake care not to damage the threads on the bellcrank stud.
Parking brake rear cables and conduit retainer bolts
- Separate the Watts linkage from the rear axle housing and remove the retainer nut from the bellcrank.
Remove the bolts and the rear wheel disc brake caliper anchor plate.
CAUTIONUse additional support straps to secure the rear axle to the jack.
- Support the rear axle housing with a suitable jack.
- Remove the shock absorber lower nuts, and then remove the shock absorbers from the retainer brackets.
- Remove the nuts and bolts retaining the LH and RH lower control arms.
- Remove the nuts and bolts retaining the LH and RH upper control arms.
Unseat the air springs and lower the rear axle from the vehicle.
- Raise the rear axle into position using a suitable jack.
- Seat the air springs.
Install or connect the following:
LH and RH upper control arms and torque the bolts to 69 ft. lbs. (93 Nm)
- Remove the axle jack.
- Install the Watts linkage on the rear axle housing.
- Install the retainer nut on the bellcrank stud and tighten to 185 ft. lbs. (250 Nm)
- Install the rear wheel disc brake caliper anchor plate and torque the bolts to 50 ft. lbs. (68 Nm)
- If equipped with rear air springs, install the height sensor.
- Install the rear stabilizer bar retainer bolts and tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm)
- Connect the ABS sensor harness routing clips.
- Install the parking brake rear cables and conduit retainer bolts.
- Connect the parking brake rear cables and conduit to the parking brake cable connector.
- Pull down on parking brake cable at the control end, then pull the parking brake adjuster clip downward and release the cable.
- Push up on the parking brake adjuster clip to lock the adjuster.
- Install the drive pinion.
- If equipped with rear air springs, turn on the air suspension switch.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Position safety stands under the rear frame crossmember.
- Remove the cover and drain the axle lubricant.
- Remove the wheel and tire assemblies. Remove the brake drums or brake rotors.
- If equipped, remove the anti-lock brake speed sensors.
- Remove the lock bolt from the differential pinion shaft and remove the shaft.
- Push the axle shafts inward to remove the C-locks and remove the axle shafts.
- If equipped with drum brakes, remove the 4 retaining nuts from each backing plate and wire the backing plate to the underbody.
- If equipped with disc brakes, remove the disc brake adapter bracket, bolts and J-nuts. Remove the 4 retaining nuts from each adapter and wire the adapters to the underbody.
- Mark the position of the driveshaft yoke on the axle companion flange. Disconnect the driveshaft at the companion flange and wire it to the underbody.
- Support the axle housing with jackstands. Disengage the brake line from the clips that retain the line to the axle housing.
- Disconnect the vent from the rear axle housing.
- If equipped with air springs, remove them according to the procedure in Section 8.
- Disconnect the lower shock absorber studs from the mounting brackets on the axle housing.
- Remove the nuts and bolts and disconnect the upper arms from the mountings on the axle housing ear brackets.
- Lower the axle housing assembly until the springs are released and lift out the springs.
- Remove the nuts and bolts and disconnect the suspension lower arms at the axle housing.
- Lower the axle housing and remove it from the vehicle.
- Position the axle housing under the vehicle and raise the axle with a hoist or jack. Connect the lower suspension arms to their mounting brackets on the axle housing. Do not tighten the bolts and nuts at this time.
- Reposition the rear springs.
- Raise the housing into position.
- Connect the upper arms to the mounting ears on the housing. Tighten the nuts and bolts to 103-133 ft. lbs. (140-180 Nm). Tighten the lower arm bolts and nuts to 103-133 ft. lbs. (140-180 Nm).
- Install the axle vent and install the brake line to the clips that retain the line to the axle housing. Secure the brake junction block to the housing cast boss.
- Connect the air spring lines as described in Section 8.
- If equipped with drum brakes, install the brake backing plates on the axle housing flanges. If equipped with disc brakes, install the disc brake adapters and tighten the nuts to 20-29 ft. lbs. (27-40 Nm). Install the disc brake adapter brackets, bolts and J-nuts. Tighten to 20-39 ft. lbs. (27-54 Nm).
- Connect the lower shock absorber studs to the mounting bracket on the axle housing.
- Connect the driveshaft to the companion flange and tighten the bolts and nuts to 70-95 ft. lbs. (95-130 Nm).
- Slide the rear axle shafts into the housing until the splines enter the side gear. Push the axle shafts inward and install the C-lock at the end of each shaft splined. Pull the shafts outboard until the C-lock enters the recess in the side gears.
- Install the pinion shaft. Apply locking compound to the pinion shaft lock bolt. Install and tighten to 15-30 ft. lbs. (20-41 Nm).
- Install the rear brake drums or disc brake rotors and calipers.
- Install the anti-lock brake speed sensor, if equipped.
- Install the rear carrier cover using new silicone sealer. Tighten to 28-35 ft. lbs. (38-47 Nm).
- Add rear axle lubricant to the carrier to a level 1 / 4 - 9 / 16 in. below the bottom of the fill hole. If equipped with limited slip, add friction modifier C8AZ-19B564-A or equivalent. Install the filler plug and tighten to 15-30 ft. lbs. (20-41 Nm).
- Install the wheel and tire assemblies and lower the vehicle. Road test.