Fuel supply lines on all fuel injected engines will remain pressurized for some period of time after the engine is shut OFF . This pressure must be relieved before servicing the fuel system. Pressure is relieved through the fuel pressure relief valve, located on the fuel rail.
To relieve the fuel system pressure, first remove the fuel tank cap to relieve pressure in the tank, then remove the cap on the fuel pressure relief valve. Attach a fuel pressure gauge and drain the system through the drain tube into a container. Remove the fuel pressure gauge and replace the cap on the relief valve.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the fuel tank cap to relieve the pressure in the fuel tank.
- Remove the cap from the Schrader valve located on the fuel supply manifold.
- Attach fuel pressure gauge T80L-9974-A or equivalent, to the Schrader valve and drain the fuel through the drain tube into a suitable container.
- After the fuel system pressure is relieved, remove the fuel pressure gauge and install the cap on the Schrader valve.