- Drain the cooling system.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
- Clean the sealing surfaces of the water pump and block.
Install or connect the following:
New O-ring, lubricate it with clean antifreeze prior to installation
- Fill the cooling system.
- Operate the engine to normal operating temperatures and check for leaks.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system. Remove the air inlet tube.
- Remove the fan shroud attaching bolts and position the shroud over the fan. Remove the fan and clutch assembly from the water pump shaft and remove the shroud.
- Remove the air conditioner drive belt and idler pulley bracket. Remove the alternator and power steering drive belts. Remove the power steering pump and position aside, leaving the hoses attached. Remove all accessory brackets that attach to the water pump.
- Remove the water pump pulley. Disconnect the lower radiator hose, heater hose and water pump bypass hose at the water pump.
- Remove the water pump attaching bolts and remove the water pump. Discard the gasket.
- Clean all old gasket material from the timing cover and water pump.
- Apply a suitable waterproof sealing compound to both sides of a new gasket and install the gasket on the timing cover.
- Install the water pump and tighten the mounting bolts to 12-18 ft. lbs. (16-24 Nm).
- Connect the hoses and accessory brackets to the water pump. Install the pulley on the water pump shaft.
- Install the power steering pump and air conditioner idler pulley bracket. Install the accessory drive belts.
- Install the fan and fan clutch assembly and the fan shroud.
- Adjust the accessory drive belt tension; refer to Section 1.
- Connect the negative battery cable and fill the cooling system, as explained in Section 1.
- Run the engine and check for leaks.