REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Unplug the wire harness at the connector from the switch.
The locking tab must be lifted before the connector can be removed.
- Remove the hairpin retainer and white nylon washer. Slide the brake light switch and the pushrod away from the pedal. Remove the switch by sliding the switch up/down.
Since the switch side plate nearest the brake pedal is slotted, it is not necessary to remove the brake master cylinder pushrod black bushing and one white spacer washer nearest the pedal arm from the brake pedal pin.
- Position the switch so that the U-shaped side is nearest the pedal and directly over/under the pin. The black bushing must be in position in the push rod eyelet with the washer face on the side closest to the retaining pin.
- Slide the switch up/down, trapping the master cylinder pushrod and black bushing between the switch side plates. Push the switch and pushrod assembly firmly towards the brake pedal arm. Assemble the outside white plastic washer to pin and install the hairpin retainer to trap the whole assembly.
Do not substitute other types of pin retainer. Replace only with a production type hairpin retainer.
- Plug in the wire harness connector to the switch.
- Connect negative battery cable.
- Check the brake light switch for proper operation. Brake lights should illuminate with less than 6 lbs. (2.7 kg) applied to the brake pedal at the pad.
The brake light switch wire harness must have sufficient length to travel with the switch during full stroke at the pedal.