REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Wedge a 7 in. (178mm) wood block under the clutch pedal to hold the pedal up slightly beyond its normal position.
- Remove the air cleaner to gain access to the clutch cable.
- Using a pair of pliers, grasp the clutch cable, pull it forward and disconnect it from the clutch release shaft assembly.
Do not grasp the wire strand portion of the inner cable since it may cut the wires and cause cable failure.
- Remove the clutch casing from the insulator which is located on the rib on the top of the transaxle case.
- Remove the rear screw and move the clutch shield away from the brake pedal support bracket.
- Loosen the front retaining screw, located near the toe board, rotate the shield aside and snug the screw to retain the shield.
- With the clutch pedal raised to release the pawl, rotate the gear quadrant forward, unhook the clutch cable and allow the quadrant to swing rearward. Do not allow the quadrant to snap back.
- Pull the cable through the recess between the clutch pedal and the gear quadrant and from the insulator of the pedal assembly.
- Remove the cable from the engine compartment.
- Lift the clutch pedal to disengage the adjusting mechanism.
- Insert the clutch cable through the dash panel and the dash panel grommet.
Be sure the clutch cable is routed under the brake lines and is not trapped at the spring tower by the brake lines. If equipped with power steering, route the cable inboard of the power steering hose.
- Push the clutch cable through the insulator on the stop bracket and through the recess between the pedal and the gear quadrant.
- Lift the clutch pedal to release the pawl. Rotate the gear quadrant forward and hook the cable into the gear quadrant.
- Install the clutch shield on the brake pedal support bracket.
- Using a piece of wire or tape, secure the pedal in its uppermost position.
- Insert the clutch cable through the insulator and connect the cable to the clutch release lever in the engine compartment.
- Remove the wooden block from under the clutch pedal.
- Depress the clutch pedal several times. Install the air cleaner and connect the negative battery cable.