REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The fuel supply pump is an integral part of the injection pump assembly and cannot be replaced as a separate unit.
- Disconnect battery ground cable from the battery, located in the luggage compartment.
- Disconnect air inlet duct from the air cleaner and intake manifold. Install a protective cap in the intake manifold.
The cap is part of protective cap set, T84P-9395-A or equivalent.
- Remove rear timing belt cover and flywheel timing mark cover.
- Remove the rear timing belt.
- Disconnect throttle cable and speed control cable, if so equipped.
- Disconnect vacuum hoses at the altitude compensator and cold start diaphragm.
- Unplug the fuel cutoff solenoid connector.
- Disconnect fuel supply and fuel return hoses at injection pump.
- Remove injection lines at the injection pump and nozzles. Cap all lines and fittings using protective cap set T84P-9395-A or equivalent.
- Rotate injection pump sprocket until timing marks are aligned. Install the two M8 x 1.25 bolts in holes to hold the injection pump sprocket. Remove the sprocket retaining nut.
- Remove injection pump sprocket using gear puller T77F-4220-B1 and adapter D80L-625-4 or equivalent, using two M8 x 1.25 bolts installed in the threaded holes in the sprocket.
- Remove bolt attaching the injection pump to the pump front bracket.
- Remove the nuts attaching the injection pump to the pump rear bracket and remove the pump.
- Install the injection pump in position on the pump bracket.
- Install two nuts attaching the pump to the rear bracket and tighten to 23-34 ft. lbs. (32-47 Nm).
- Install bolt attaching the pump to the front bracket and tighten to 12-16 ft. lbs. (16-23 Nm).
- Install injection pump sprocket. Hold the sprocket in place during installation. Install the sprocket retaining nut and tighten to 51-58 ft. lbs. (70-80 Nm).
- Remove the protective caps and install the fuel lines at the injection pump and nozzles. Tighten the fuel line capnuts to 18-22 ft. lbs. (25-29 Nm).
- Connect the fuel supply and fuel return hoses at the injection pump.
- Plug in the fuel cutoff solenoid connector.
- Connect the vacuum lines to the cold start diaphragm and altitude compensator.
- Connect the throttle cable and speed control cable, if so equipped.
- Install and adjust the rear timing belt.
- Remove protective cap and install the air inlet duct to the intake manifold and air cleaner.
- Connect battery ground cable to battery.
- Air bleed fuel system as outlined.
- Check and adjust the injection pump timing.
- Run engine and check for fuel leaks. Watch closely. If any leaks occur, turn off the engine immediately. Find and repair any leak(s) detected.
- Check and adjust engine idle.
The engine coolant temperature must be above 176ºF (80ºC) before the injection timing can be checked and/or adjusted.
- Disconnect the battery ground cable from the battery, located in the luggage compartment.
- Remove the injection pump distributor head plug bolt and sealing washer.
- Install a static timing gauge adapter, Rotunda part No. 14-0303 or equivalent with a metric dial indicator, so that the indicator pointer is in contact with the injection pump plunger.
- Remove the timing mark cover from the transaxle housing. Align the timing mark Top Dead Center (TDC) with the pointer on the rear engine cover plate.
- Rotate the crankshaft pulley slowly, counterclockwise until the dial indicator pointer stops moving approximately 30-50º Before Top Dead Center (BTDC).
- Adjust the dial indicator to zero (0).
Confirm that the dial indicator pointer does not move from zero by slightly rotating the crankshaft left and right.
Turn the crankshaft clockwise until the crankshaft timing mark aligns with the indicator pin. The dial indicator should read 0.0392-0.0408 in. (0.98-1.02mm). If the reading is not within specification, adjust as follows:
- Loosen the injection pump attaching bolt and nuts.
- Rotate the injection pump toward the engine to advance timing and away from the engine to retard timing.
- Rotate the injection pump until the dial indicator reads 0.0392-0.0408 in. (0.98-1.02mm).
- Tighten the injection pump attaching nuts and bolt to 13-20 ft. lbs. (17.5-27 Nm).
- Repeat Steps 5-7 to check that the timing is adjusted correctly.
- Remove the dial indicator and adapter and install the injection pump distributor head plug and tighten to 10-14 ft. lbs. (14-19 Nm).
- Connect the battery ground cable to the battery.
- Start the engine, then check and adjust idle rpm, if necessary. Check for fuel leaks. Watch closely. If any leaks occur, turn off the engine immediately. Find and repair any leak(s) that are detected.