REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Place fender covers on the aprons.
- Unplug the wiring connector from the fan motor. Disconnect the wire loom from the clip on the shroud by pushing down on the lock fingers and pulling the connector from the motor end.
- Unfasten the fan motor and shroud assembly retainers and remove the fan and shroud from the vehicle.
- Unfasten the retaining clip from the motor shaft and remove the fan.
A metal burr may be present on the motor shaft after the retaining clip has been removed. If necessary, remove the burr to facilitate fan removal.
- Unbolt and withdraw the fan motor from the shroud.
- Install the fan motor in position in the fan shroud. Install the retaining nuts and washers or screws and tighten to 44-66 inch lbs. (5-8 Nm).
- Position the fan assembly on the motor shaft and install the retaining clip.
- Position the fan, motor and shroud as an assembly in the vehicle. Install the retaining nuts or screws and tighten nuts to 35-41 inch lbs. (4-5 Nm) and screws to 23-33 inch lbs. (3-4 Nm).
- Install the fan motor wire loom in the clip provided on the fan shroud. Attach the wiring connector to the fan motor. Be sure the lock fingers on the connector snap firmly into place.
- Reconnect the battery cable.
- Check the fan for proper operation.
- Check the fuse or circuit breaker for power to the cooling fan motor.
- Remove the connector(s) at the cooling fan motor(s). Connect a jumper wire and apply battery voltage to the positive terminal of the cooling fan motor.
- Using an ohmmeter, check for continuity in the cooling fan motor.
Remove the cooling fan connector at the fan motor before performing continuity checks. Check continuity of the motor windings only. The cooling fan control circuit is connected electrically to the ECM through the cooling fan relay center. Ohmmeter battery voltage must not be applied to the ECM.
- Ensure proper continuity of the cooling fan motor ground circuit at the chassis ground connector.