REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Place fender covers on the aprons.
- Remove the air cleaner.
- Tag and disconnect all vacuum hoses from the rocker arm cover.
- Remove the rocker arm cover retaining screws and washers.
- Loosen the PCV oil separator and allow the hoses to clear the rocker cover.
- Remove the rocker arm cover and gasket.
- Clean the head and rocker arm cover mating surfaces.
- Install the guide pins into the cylinder head and position the gasket and rocker arm cover over the guide pins.
- Start two retaining screw and washer assemblies into the cylinder head and remove the guide pins.
Install all retaining screw and washer assemblies and tighten the retainers as follows:
- On 1981-88 models, tighten all retainers to 72-96 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm).
- On 1989-90 models, tighten the bolts to 84-120 inch lbs. (9-13 Nm) and all studs to 72-96 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm).
- Connect all vacuum hoses and install the air cleaner assembly.
- Connect the negative battery cable, start the engine and check for leaks.
- Disconnect the breather hose.
- Unfasten the cover retaining bolts and remove the cover.
- Inspect the cover rubber seal and replace as necessary.
- Use a suitable solution to clean the cover.
- Install a new cover rubber seal.
- Install the cover and its retainers.
- Tighten the cover retainers to 60-84 inch lbs. (7-10 Nm).
- Connect the breather hose.