REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Early Model Vehicles
See Figure 1
- Move the parking brake lever forward enough to insert a finger into the lever slot of the finish panel.
- Using your finger, pull upward at the rear of the finish panel through the slot opening.
- Pull the parking brake lever fully rearward to the set position. Remove the finish panel over the brake and gear shift levers.
- Unfasten the four screws holding the console base.
- Unfasten the screws attaching the console to the instrument panel.
- Place the parking brake lever in the released position.
- Move the shift lever into the low gear position on models with an automatic transaxle or fourth gear on models with a manual transaxle.
- Raise the console to gain access to any electrical connectors.
- Unplug the connectors and remove the console.
- Attach the console electrical connectors.
- Place the console into position.
- Install the console retaining screws.
- Install the console finish panel.
See Figure 2
- Unfasten the two screw trim covers at the rear and the four screw trim covers at the sides of the console.
You may need to move the seats to access the screw trim covers.
- Unfasten the two screws attaching the rear of the console to the armrest.
- Unfasten the four armrest-to-rear floor bracket bolts.
- Lift the armrest from the console.
- Unfasten the three rear finish panel-to-console screws. Slip the finish panel off the parking brake through the hole in the end of the panel.
- Unfasten the console-to-front support bracket screws.
- Remove the two screws retaining console to the transaxle shift casting (automatic transaxle) or console mounting bracket (manual transaxle).
- Unfasten the main wiring harness from the front of the console.
- Remove the console.
- Attach the main wiring harness to the front of the console.
- Install the console into position.
- Install the two screws retaining console to the transaxle shift casting (automatic transaxle) or console mounting bracket (manual transaxle).
- Install the console-to-front support bracket screws.
- Place the rear finish panel into position and tighten its retaining screws.
- Install the armrest and tighten its retaining bolts.
- Install the two screws attaching the rear of the console to the armrest.
- Install the two screw trim covers at the rear and the four screw trim covers at the sides of the console.
With passive restraint system
See Figures 3 and 4
- Cycle the shoulder belts to the A-pillar position.
- Remove the safety belt anchor plug buttons and bolts. Allow the belts to retract into the console.
- Remove the access hole covers that snap out of the rear on the console.
- If applicable, unfasten the two armrest-to-console screws.
- Snap out the shoulder belt bevels from the console.
Access to the armrest screws can be gained through the safety belt openings.
- Unfasten the armrest screws (two on each side), and remove the armrest.
- Carefully pull off the two emergency release lever handles by relieving the pressure from the retaining clips on the underside of the handle and gently pull the handle off.
- Unfasten the three finish panel-to-console screws, then lift the panel out of the console and unplug the electrical connectors.
- Unfasten the seven console-to-floor screws.
- Lift the console up and unplug all necessary connectors.
- Unfasten the rear console support bracket retainers and remove the bracket.
- Unfasten the retaining retractor assembly-to-floor brace bolts. Unplug the electrical connector and remove the retractor.
See Figure 5
- Install the retractor and attach the electrical connector.
- Install the retractor-to-floor brace bolts and tighten the bolts to 22-32 ft. lbs. (30-43 Nm).
- Install the support bracket and tighten the retainers.
- Attach the console electrical connections and place the console into position.
- Install and tighten the seven console-to-floor screws.
- Attach the electrical connectors to the finish panel, install the panel and tighten the screws.
- Install the two emergency release lever handles making sure the clips engage.
- Install the armrest and its retainers.
- Snap the shoulder belt bevels into the console.
- Install the safety belt anchor bolts and plugs.
- Check that the safety belt is functioning properly.