Use a long life lubricant that meets Ford specification ESA-M1C75-B or equivalent to pack the rear wheel bearings.Front
The front wheel bearings are sealed units and are not serviceable. If the bearings are damaged, they must be replaced.Rear
See Figure 1
- Remove the wheel bearings. Refer to Suspension & Steering of this guide for the procedure.
- Wash all the old grease or axle lubricant out of the wheel hub, using a suitable solvent.
- Wash the bearing cups and rollers and inspect them for pitting, galling, and uneven wear patterns. Inspect the roller for end wear.
- Pack each bearing cone and roller with a bearing packer.
- If a bearing packer is not available, pack the inner and outer bearing cone with a quality wheel bearing grease by hand, working the grease through the cage behind the roller.
- Install and adjust the wheel bearing as outlined in Suspension & Steering of this guide.