REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, and 4
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.
- Unfasten the horn cover screws located on the back of the steering wheel assembly.
- Unplug the horn electrical connection and remove the cover.
- Loosen and remove the center mounting nut.
- Scribe matchmarks on the steering wheel and shaft to assure installation in the proper alignment.
- Remove the wheel with a steering wheel puller. DO NOT USE a knock-off type puller. It will cause damage to the collapsible steering column.
- Align the marks on the steering shaft and steering wheel. Place the wheel onto the shaft.
- Install a new center mounting nut. Tighten the nut to 30-40 ft. lbs. (40-54 Nm) on 1981-85 models and 23-33 ft. Lbs. (31-45 Nm) on 1986-90 models.
- Attach the horn electrical connection and install the horn cover on the steering wheel. Tighten the horn pad screws until they are snug.
- Connect the negative battery cable.