The ABS system on 1994-96 models does not require any special procedures or tools and is covered in the bleeding procedure for non-ABS systems at the start of this section.
The ABS systems on 1997-99 models requires the use of a scan tool that must be able to perform the System Bleed Function to purge the air from the Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU). An appropriate scan tool would be the New Generation Star (NGS) tester 418-F048 (007-00500) or its equivalent.
- Start the vehicle and let the engine idle normally.
- Following the tool manufacturer's instructions, attach a scan tool capable of performing the System Bleed Function to the Data Link Connector (DLC).
- Depress the brake pedal to half of the full travel position.
- Access the Function Test mode on the scan tool and activate the System Bleed Function.
Manually bleed the brake system as follows:
- Clean the area around the master cylinder filler cap and remove the cap.
- Fill the reservoir with clean brake fluid and install the cap.
- Repeat the master cylinder bleeding procedure at the front master cylinder outlet fitting.
- Position the correct box-end wrench on the brake bleeder on the right rear wheel.
Always bleed the longest line first, which is the right rear line.
- Attach one end of a clear rubber hose to the brake bleeder screw and the other end into a container half full of clean brake fluid.
- Loosen the bleeder screw while an assistant apply the brake pedal slowly through its entire travel.
- Close the brake bleeder and then have the assistant release the brake pedal.
- Continue bleeding the right rear wheel until the fluid is free of air bubbles.
DO NOT allow the master cylinder to run out of brake fluid. Only use fresh DOT 3 or equivalent brake fluid from a closed container.
- Repeat the procedure on the left rear wheel, then the right front, and finally the left front wheel.
- Throughout the brake bleeding process, continually check the brake master cylinder and top off the fluid as required.
- Repeat the procedure, performing a total of two System Bleed Functions and two manual bleed cycles.
- If the brake pedal is spongy, repeat the brake bleeding procedure.
- Disconnect the scan tool and check the fluid level.
- Test drive the vehicle and check for proper operation.