REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disengage the distributor electrical connector and coil wire at the cap.
- Remove the distributor cap and rotor.
- Position it to the side. If the distributor unit is not being replaced, scribe a reference mark across the distributor base flange and the cylinder head.
- Loosen the distributor mounting bolts and remove the distributor from the engine.
- If necessary, remove the distributor base gasket from the distributor.
- If necessary, remove the distributor O-ring.
Do not rotate the engine while the distributor assembly is removed. Do not attempt to disassemble and service the distributor unit. The distributor unit should be replaced as an assembly.To install:
The distributor can only be installed in one direction. Do not force the distributor into position and make sure the drive tangs engage the camshaft slots.
- If removed, install a new distributor base gasket.
- If removed, install a new O-ring on the distributor unit.
- Install the distributor unit into the engine. Make certain the drive tangs engage with the camshaft slots.
- If installing the old distributor, make sure the reference marks made during removal are aligned.
- Tighten the mounting bolts finger-tight.
- Install the rotor and distributor cap.
- Engage the distributor electrical connector and coil wire to the cap.
- Connect the negative battery cable and check ignition timing.
- If necessary, adjust the ignition timing.
- Tighten the distributor mounting bolt to 14-19 ft. lbs. (19-25 Nm).
When installing the distributor make sure the offset drive tangs engage the camshaft slots.
- Make sure that the engine is still with the No. 1 piston up on TDC of its compression stroke.
If the engine was disturbed while the distributor was removed, it will be necessary to remove the No. 1 spark plug and rotate the engine clockwise until the No. 1 piston is on the compression stroke. Align the timing marks.
If installing the old distributor:
- Install the distributor and align the marks on the distributor base flange-to-cylinder head and the rotor points toward the mark on the distributor housing made previously. Make certain the rotor is pointing to the No. 1 mark on the distributor base.
If installing a new distributor:
- Install the rotor and cap (with wires still attached) on the distributor, follow the No. 1 spark plug wire from the plug to the cap, this will be the No.1 tower on the cap. Mark the location of the tower on the distributor housing, then remove the cap.
- Install the distributor and make sure the rotor aligns with the No.1 tower mark made on the distributor.
- When all the marks are aligned, install the distributor hold-down bolts and tighten them to 14-19 ft. lbs. (19-25 Nm).
- Install the cap and tighten the screws.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Engage the electrical connections.
- Install the No. 1 spark plug, if removed.
- Recheck the initial timing and adjust if necessary.