1.8L, 1.9L and 2.0L SOHC Engines
The 1.8L and 1.9L 2.0L SOHC engines utilize hydraulic lash adjusters. These adjusters eliminate the need for any lash adjustment.2.0L DOHC Engine
See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the valve cover.
- Remove the timing belt.
Measure each valve's clearance at the base circle before removing the camshafts. The shims are not serviceable with the camshafts in place. Failure to measure all valve clearances prior to removing the camshafts will result in repeated camshaft removal and installation, and a lot of wasted time.
- Measure the valve clearances, then remove the camshafts and shims.
The shims are marked for thickness. For example: 2.2mm = 222 on shim.
The correct shims allow the following valve clearances:
A midrange clearance is the most desirable.
The midrange clearances should be as follows:
- Select the shims using the following formula: shim thickness = measured clearance plus the base shim thickness minus the most desirable thickness.
- Select the correct shims and mark their installation location (where they are going).
- Replace the shims and install the camshafts.
- Check the new valve clearances.
- Adjust the timing of the engine. Refer to the timing belt removal and installation procedure in Engine & Engine Rebuilding .
- Install the timing belt and covers.
- Install the valve cover.
- Start the car and check for proper operation.