Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
- Remove the disc brake calipers.
- Remove the disc brake pads.
- Disconnect the power vacuum hub hose from the knuckle, then disconnect the ABS sensor.
- Remove the front stabilizer bar-to-axle retaining bolts.
- If equipped, disconnect the steering damper at the axle.
Disconnect the steering linkage at the steering knuckles and position it aside.
CAUTIONIndex-mark the driveshaft to the companion flange to maintain proper driveline balance.
- Disconnect the driveshaft at the front axle and position it aside. Wrap electrical tape around the bearing cups.
Disconnect the vent tube and plug the fitting.
NOTEIt is necessary to load the suspension to remove the track bar. Load the springs by allowing most of the front vehicle weight to rest on the axle.
- Support the axle with a suitable jack and lower the vehicle enough to relieve the tension on the track bar. Then, disconnect the track bar at the axle and position it aside.
- Relieve the load on the suspension after disconnecting the track bar.
- Leave the jack supporting the axle for removal from the vehicle.
- Remove the U-bolts securing the axle to the springs.
- Lower and remove the axle.
Installation is the reverse of removal. Note the following torque specifications:
- Tighten the U-bolts to 99 ft. lbs. (133 Nm).
- Tighten the track bar to axle bolts to 129 ft. lbs. (174 Nm).
- Tighten the stabilizer bar-to-axle retaining bolts to 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm).
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
WARNINGThe electrical power to the air suspension system must be shut off prior to hoisting, jacking or towing an air suspension vehicle. This can be accomplished by turning off the air suspension switch located in the LH rear quarter trim panel area. Failure to do so can result in unexpected inflation or deflation of the air springs, which can result in shifting of the vehicle during these operations.
- With the transmission in NEUTRAL, raise and support the vehicle
- Index-mark the front driveshaft to the universal joint drive pinion flange.
Disconnect and support the front driveshaft.
NOTEDo not allow the driveshaft to hang unsupported.
- Remove the bolts, and disconnect both front drive halfshafts from the front axle shaft.
Remove the 4 crossmember bolts and the crossmember.
- For 2007 models Remove the bolt from the lower steering shaft-to-steering gear and disconnect the coupler from the rack.
- Use a high-lift jack to support the axle assembly.
- Remove the axle housing isolator nut and bolts.
- Carefully lower the front drive axle assembly.
- Disconnect the vent hose from the axle vent barbed fitting.
To install, reverse the removal procedure and not the following:
- Tighten axle housing isolator bolts and nut to 85 ft. lbs. (115 Nm).
- For 2007 models tighten housing isolator bolts and nut to 111 ft. lbs. (150 Nm).
- Tighten crossmember bolts to 66 ft. lbs. (90 Nm).
- Tighten halfshaft mounting bolts to 60 ft. lbs. (82 Nm).
- Tighten front drive shaft mounting bolts to 83 ft. lbs. (112 Nm).
- For 2007 models tighten the bolt from the lower steering shaft-to-steering gear to 22 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).