Removal & Installation
- Ensure that the parking brake control is fully released.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- If equipped, remove the retaining clips securing the brake drum to the axle.
- Remove the brake drum and, if equipped, the centering ring.
- Inspect the brake drum for scoring and/or wear. Machine or replace, as necessary. If machining, observe the maximum permissible drum diameter specification.
- Before installing a new brake drum, be sure to remove the protective coating with a brake cleaning solvent.
- If needed, adjust the rear brake shoes to fit the drum using Brake Adjustment Gauge D81L-1103-C or equivalent.
- Position the brake drum on the axle hub and if equipped, the centering ring.
- Install the wheel and tire assembly. Tighten the lug nuts in a star pattern to 84-112 ft. lbs. (113-153 Nm).
- Lower the vehicle.
- Pump the brake pedal several times to position the rear brake shoes before moving the vehicle.
- Road-test the vehicle and check for proper brake system operation.