Although, in most cases, the engine does not have exhaust manifold gaskets installed by the factory, aftermarket gaskets are available from automotive parts stores.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
140 cid (2.3L) Engine
- Remove the air cleaner.
- Remove the heat shroud from the exhaust manifold.
- Place a block of wood under the exhaust pipe and disconnect the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold.
- Remove the exhaust manifold attaching nuts and remove the manifold.
- Install a light coat of graphite grease on the exhaust manifold mating surface and position the manifold on the cylinder head.
- Install the exhaust manifold attaching nuts and tighten them in the sequence shown in the illustration to 12-15 ft. lbs.
- Connect the exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifold and remove the wood support from under the pipe.
- Install the heat shroud and air cleaner.
- Remove the air cleaner and heat duct body.
- Disconnect the muffler inlet pipe and remove the choke hot air tube from the manifold.
- Remove the EGR tube and any other emission components which will interfere with manifold removal.
- Bend the exhaust manifold attaching bolt locktabs back, remove the bolts and the manifold.
- Clean all manifold mating surfaces and place a new gasket on the muffler inlet pipe.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Tighten attaching bolts in the sequence shown. After installation, warm the engine to operating temperature and retighten to specifications.
- On the right exhaust manifold, remove the air cleaner and intake duct assembly.
- Disconnect the automatic choke heat chamber air inlet hose from the inlet tube near the right valve cover. Remove the automatic choke heat tube.
- Remove the nuts or bolts retaining the heat stove to the exhaust manifold and remove the stove.
- Disconnect the exhaust manifold(s) from the muffler inlet pipe(s).
- Remove the manifold retaining bolts and washers and the manifold(s).
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Be sure to use new inlet pipe gaskets. Tighten the exhaust manifold retaining bolts to specifications, in sequence from the centermost bolt outward. Start the engine and check for exhaust leaks.