REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
This procedure applies only to wagon models.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable, then open the liftgate.
- Remove the inner, center trim panel from the liftgate.
- Label and detach all wiring from any electrical components mounted in the liftgate, then remove the wiring harness from the liftgate.
- Support the liftgate in the open position and remove the gas cylinder assist rods, as follows:
- Using a small prytool, push the locking wedge out of the ball socket of the lift assembly, or unlock the lockspring.
- Separate the gas rod from the mounting stud.
- Perform the same for the other gas rod.
- Close the liftgate and lock it.
- From inside the wagon, matchmark the hinge to the body, then remove the hinge-to-body mounting nuts and washers.
- From outside of the vehicle, unlock the liftgate and, with the help of an assistant, remove the liftgate from the vehicle.
- Position, with the aid of an assistant, the liftgate onto the car body. Lock the liftgate so that it stays shut during mounting bolt installation.
- From inside of the vehicle, install the hinge-to-body mounting nuts and washers. If necessary, position the liftgate so that the matchmarks made during removal are aligned.
- From outside of the vehicle, open the liftgate and support it in that position. Install the gas rods, as follows:
- Install one end of the gas rod onto the ball socket, then engage the locking wedge, or snap the lockspring over the end of the rod, to secure the gas rod in position.
- Perform the same for the other end of the gas rod.
- Install the second gas rod in the same manner.
- Route the wiring harness back into the liftgate and attach the wiring to any electrical component mounted in the liftgate.
- Install the inner, center trim panel onto the liftgate.
- Close the liftgate and connect the negative battery cable.