Always use extreme caution when working with coil springs. Make sure the vehicle is supported sufficiently.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise the front of the vehicle and place jackstands under both sides of the jack pads just to the rear of the lower arms.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Disconnect the stabilizer bar link from the lower arm.
- Remove the steering gear bolts, and move the steering gear out of the way.
- Disconnect the tie rod from the steering spindle.
- Using a spring compressor, install one plate with the pivot ball seat down into the coils of the spring. Rotate the plate, so that it is fully seated into the lower suspension arm spring seat.
- Install the other plate with the pivot ball seat up into the coils of the spring. Insert the ball nut through the coils of the spring, so it rests in the upper plate.
- Insert the compression rod into the opening in the lower arm through the lower and upper plate. Install the upper ball nut on the rod, and return the securing pin.
This pin can only be inserted one way into the upper ball nut because of a stepped hole design.
- With the upper ball nut secured turn the upper plate, so it walks up the coil until it contacts the upper spring seat.
- Install the lower ball nut, thrust bearing and forcing nut on the compression rod.
- Rotate the nut until the spring is compressed enough so that it is free in its seat.
- Remove the two lower control arm pivot bolts and nuts, and disengage the lower arm from the frame crossmember and remove the spring assembly.
- If a new spring is to be installed, mark the position of the upper and lower plates on the spring with chalk. Measure the compressed length of the spring as well as the amount of the spring curvature to assist in the compressing and installation of a new spring.
- Loosen the nut to relieve spring tension, and remove the tools from the spring.
- Assemble the spring compressor tool, and locate it in the same position as indicated in Step 13.
Before compressing the coil spring, be sure the upper ball nut securing pin is inserted properly.
- Compress the coil spring until the spring height reaches the dimension in Step 13.
- Position the coil spring assembly into the lower arm.
Make sure that the lower end of the spring is properly positioned between the two holes in the lower arm spring pocket depression.
- To finish installing the coil spring, reverse the removal procedure.