- Place the shift lever in Neutral.
- Loosen the two shift linkage adjustment nuts, making sure the shift rods remain in the transmission shift levers.
- Use an allen wrench as an alignment tool. Insert the alignment tool through the hole in the boot and into the shift control assembly alignment hole.
- Tighten the adjustment nuts, making sure the slotted ends of the shift rods are over the flats of the studs on the shift control assembly.
- Remove the alignment pin. Check to make sure the linkage operates smoothly.
The 4-speed transmissions used in your Fairmont or Zephyr are equipped with internal shaft rails, having no provision for adjustment.