REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the steering column trim shroud by removing the self-tapping screws.
- Disconnect the ignition switch electrical connector. Turn the key to the LOCK position (1978-81 models) or the ON position (1982-83 models).
- Drill out the "break-off head" bolts that connect the switch to the lock cylinder housing using a 1 / 8 inch drill.
- Remove the two bolts using an "easy out" tool or equivalent.
- Disengage the ignition switch from the actuator pin.
- Turn the key to the LOCK position (1978-81 models) or the ON position (1982-83 models). When adjusting the old switch to the lock position slide the carrier to the lock position then insert a 0.050 in. diameter drill bit through the switch housing and into the carrier, preventing movement of the carrier. New switches are held in place by plastic shipping pins.
- Rotate the ignition key to the LOCK position for models through 1981 and to the ON position for 1982 and later models.
- Install the ignition switch on the actuator pin.
- Install new "break-off head" bolts and tighten until the heads break off.
- Remove the adjustment drill bit by adjusting pin.
- Connect the electrical connector to the ignition switch.
- Connect the negative battery cable and check to see if the ignition switch operates properly.
- Install the steering column trim shrouds.