The oil control solenoid is part of the Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT) unit. The VCT unit used on the 2.0L DOHC engine is connected to the exhaust camshaft, and the rotation of the exhaust camshaft takes place in the VCT unit. The unit is oil filled to move the pistons inside the unit. Oil and piston movement inside the unit can retard the exhaust camshaft without affecting the intake camshaft. Adjustment of the VCT unit permits every piston position between maximum advance and maximum retardation.
- Turn the ignition switch OFF.
- Unplug the wiring harness from the sensor and check the harness for continuity and shorts to ground.
- Repair as necessary and attach the harness to the sensor.
- Using a Digital Volt Ohmmeter (DVOM), set to read resistance, probe the terminals of the solenoid.
- The resistance should be between 3.0 and 6.0 volts.
- If the resistance is not within specification, replace the sensor.