Diagnosis & Testing
- Turn off all lamps and electrical components.
- Place the transmission in NEUTRAL and apply the parking brake.
- Carry out the Load Test and No Load Test according to the following component tests:
- Switch the tester to the ammeter function.
- Connect the positive and negative leads of the tester to the corresponding battery terminals.
- Connect the current probe to the generator B+ output terminal, circuit 2037 (RD).
With the engine running at approximately 2,000 rpm, adjust the tester load bank to determine the output of the generator. Generator output should be greater than the graph shown.
- Switch the tester to the voltmeter function.
- Connect the voltmeter positive lead to the generator B+ terminal, circuit 2037 (RD) and the negative lead to ground.
- Turn all electrical accessories off.
- With the engine running at approximately 2,000 rpm, check the generator output voltage. The voltage should be between 13.0 and 15.0 volts.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the accessory drive belt.
- Detach the alternator wiring connector.
- Remove the positive cable nut.
Remove the alternator.
- Position the alternator on the engine.
- Install the alternator mounting bolts. Tighten the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm) on 2004-05 models, or 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm) on 2006 models.
- Tighten the positive cable nut to 71 INCH lbs. (8 Nm).
- Connect the wiring connector.
- Install and tension the accessory drive belt.
- Connect the negative battery cable.