The KS is a tuned accelerometer on the engine which converts engine vibration to an electrical signal. The PCM uses this signal to determine the presence of engine knock and to retard spark timing.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the battery ground cable.
- Remove the air cleaner outlet pipe.
- Remove the front and rear roll restrictor bolts and the roll restrictor.
- Remove the upper and lower roll restrictor bolts and the roll restrictor bracket.
- Disconnect the Knock Sensor (KS) electrical connector
Remove the nut and the KS.
To install, reverse the removal procedure. Note the following tightening specifications:
- Sensor nut: 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm)
- Upper and lower roll restrictor bolts: 66 ft. lbs. (90 Nm)
- Tighten the front and rear roll restrictor bolts to 46 ft. lbs. (63 Nm).