- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Recover the refrigerant, as outlined in this section.
- Remove the alternator, as outlined in Engine Electrical.
Completely loosen the A/C compressor mounting bolt.
Remove the 3 bolts from the A/C mounting bracket.
Remove the 2 bolts from the alternator mounting bracket.
Completely loosen the alternator mounting bracket bolt.
- Lift the alternator mounting bracket until the remaining bolt clears the frame rail and remove the bolt.
Remove the alternator mounting bracket.
Remove the RH cooling fan and shroud assembly bolt.
NOTEThe 2 lower compressor bolts must be removed with the A/C compressor.
- Completely loosen the 2 lower compressor bolts.
Remove the A/C compressor manifold bolt.
NOTEThe 2 upper compressor bolts must be removed with the A/C compressor.
- Completely loosen the 2 upper compressor bolts.
- Remove the A/C compressor. Discard the O-ring seals.
- Remove the compressor bracket.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Please observe the following:
- Install new O-ring seals lubricated in clean mineral oil.
Tighten the retainers as follows:
- Upper 2 compressor bolts: 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm)
- A/C compressor manifold bolt: 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm)
- Lower 2 compressor mounting bolts: 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm)
- Alternator mounting bracket bolts: 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm)
- A/C mounting bracket bolts: 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm)
- Lubricate the refrigerant system with the correct amount of clean PAG oil.
- If filtering of the A/C system is not to be carried out, evacuate, leak test and charge the refrigerant system.