Refrigerant Compressor Oil (Mineral Oil) should be used to lubricate R-134a refrigerant system O-ring seals only and should not be added to R-134a refrigerant systems as an A/C compressor lubricant. PAG Refrigerant Compressor Oil only should be used as an A/C compressor lubricant.
If installing a new A/C compressor due to an internal failure of the old unit, you must carry out the following procedures to remove contamination from the A/C system:
If A/C flushing equipment is available, carry out flushing of the A/C system prior to installing a new A/C compressor.If A/C flushing equipment is not available, carry out filtering of the A/C system after a new A/C compressor has been installed. Install a new evaporator core orifice, as directed by the A/C flushing or filtering procedure.Install a new suction accumulator, as directed by the A/C flushing or filtering procedure.
Installation of a new suction accumulator is not required when repairing the air conditioning system, except when there is physical evidence of system contamination from a failed A/C compressor or damage to the suction accumulator.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Recover the refrigerant, as outlined in this section.
- Remove the alternator, as outlined in Engine Electrical.
Completely loosen the A/C compressor mounting bolt.
Remove the 3 bolts from the A/C mounting bracket.
Remove the 2 bolts from the alternator mounting bracket.
Completely loosen the alternator mounting bracket bolt.
- Lift the alternator mounting bracket until the remaining bolt clears the frame rail and remove the bolt.
Remove the alternator mounting bracket.
Remove the RH cooling fan and shroud assembly bolt.
NOTEThe 2 lower compressor bolts must be removed with the A/C compressor.
- Completely loosen the 2 lower compressor bolts.
Remove the A/C compressor manifold bolt.
NOTEThe 2 upper compressor bolts must be removed with the A/C compressor.
- Completely loosen the 2 upper compressor bolts.
- Remove the A/C compressor. Discard the O-ring seals.
- Remove the compressor bracket.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Please observe the following:
- Install new O-ring seals lubricated in clean mineral oil.
Tighten the retainers as follows:
- Upper 2 compressor bolts: 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm)
- A/C compressor manifold bolt: 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm)
- Lower 2 compressor mounting bolts: 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm)
- Alternator mounting bracket bolts: 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm)
- A/C mounting bracket bolts: 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm)
- Lubricate the refrigerant system with the correct amount of clean PAG oil.
- If filtering of the A/C system is not to be carried out, evacuate, leak test and charge the refrigerant system.