REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the oil pan as outlined in this section.
- On 4.2L, 5.0L and 5.8L(W) engines, remove the oil pump inlet tube and screen assembly.
- Remove the oil pump attaching bolts. Lower the oil pump, gasket, and intermediate driveshaft from the crankcase. If not already removed, remove and clean the inlet tube and screen assembly.
- Prime the oil pump by filling either the inlet or outlet port with engine oil. Rotate the pump shaft to distribute the oil within the pump body.
- Position the intermediate driveshaft into the distributor socket. With the shaft firmly seated in the socket, the stop on the shaft should contact the roof of the crankcase. Remove the shaft and position the stop as necessary.
- Insert the intermediate driveshaft into the oil pump. Using a new gasket, install the pump and shaft as an assembly. Do not attempt to force the pump into position if it will not seat readily. If necessary, rotate the intermediate driveshaft hex into a new position so that it will mesh with the distributor shaft.
- Tighten the oil pump attaching bolts to 12-15