REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
This procedure applies to the 3.9L engine only.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system of coolant.
- Remove the front chain cover.
- Turn the engine by hand until the timing marks on the camshaft and crankshaft gears are aligned. Refer to the illustration.
- Use a gear puller to remove both of the timing gears.
- Before installing the timing gears, be sure that the key and spacer are properly installed. Align the gear key way with the key and install the gear on the camshaft. Be sure that the timing marks line up on the camshaft and the crankshaft gears and install the crankshaft gear.
- Install the front cover, and assemble the rest of the engine in the reverse order of disassembly. Fill the cooling system. Make all necessary engine adjustments.