REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 26 Cylinder Engines
- Remove the air cleaner and heat chamber air inlet hose, if equipped.
- Remove the automatic choke tube, if equipped, and the fresh air tube from the valve cover.
- Remove the Thermactor® bypass valve and air supply hoses, as needed.
- Disconnect and mark the spark plug wires. Remove the wire bracket if necessary.
- Remove any other components if additional access is required. Remove the valve cover retaining bolts and the valve cover.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the retaining bolts to 6-9 ft. lbs. (8-12 Nm).
Always use new gasket(s) when installing the valve covers. Install the gasket(s) according to the manufacturer instructions.8 Cylinder Engines
When disconnecting wires and vacuum lines, label them for reinstallation identification.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly, except if equipped with Mulit-Port Fuel Injection (MPFI).
- If equipped with MPFI, remove the upper intake manifold assembly.
On the right side:
- Disconnect the automatic choke heat chamber hose from the inlet tube near the right valve cover.
- Remove the automatic choke heat tube if equipped and remove the PCV valve and hose from the valve cover. Disconnect the EGR valve hoses.
- Remove the Thermactor® bypass valve and air supply hoses as necessary to gain clearance.
- Disconnect the spark plug wires from the plugs. Twist then pull on the boots only, never on the wire. Position the wires and mounting bracket out of the way.
- Remove the valve cover mounting bolts, then the valve cover. A plastic-faced hammer may be needed to loosen the cover from the gasket.
On the left side:
- Remove the spark plug wires and bracket.
- Remove the wiring harness and any vacuum hose(s) from the bracket.
- Remove the valve cover mounting bolts and valve cover. A plastic-faced hammer may be needed to loosen the cover from the gasket.
- Clean all old gasket material from the valve cover and cylinder head mounting surfaces.
- Installation is the reverse of removal procedure. Tighten all retaining bolts to 10-13 ft. lbs. (14-18 Nm). Use oil resistant sealing compound and a new valve cover gasket. Follow the gasket manufacturer instruction when installing the gasket. When positioning the valve cover gasket, make sure all the gasket tangs are engaged into the cover notches provided.