REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Open the tailgate as a drop gate and place a support under the tailgate.
Be careful not to damage the paint.
- Remove the tailgate inside trim panel and access cover.
- Remove the torsion bar retainer bracket.
- Raise the tailgate glass and latch the upper tailgate latch by hand. Make sure the glass is supported.
- Remove the wiring harness from the tailgate.
- Mark the location of the hinge to the tailgate and remove the nuts attaching the hinge to the tailgate.
- Actuate the outside handle to disengage the lower latch and remove the tailgate.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
Upper Latch-to-Lower Latch Link
See Figure 3
Place the tailgate latches in the closed (latched) position. Disconnect the upper latch-to-lower latch link from the lower latch. Adjust the upper latch-to-lower latch link to engage with the lower latch (no load on the link).
To check the adjustment, the upper latch must not close when the lower latch is in the open position. The upper and lower latches must open at approximately the same time when the outside handle is operated.
Remove the tailgate inside trim panel and access cover. Disengage the upper hinge release link from the lock release control assembly. Position the adjuster on the upper hinge release link to engage the lever on the lock release control assembly with no load on the link. Assemble the link to the control assembly.
Check the adjustment as follows:
- The power window regulator, if equipped, must not operate when the latch release control is in the released position.
- The inside release handle must not operate when the window is down and the upper latch is locked by either the key or the inside push button.
Fore-and-aft and up and down adjustment of the strikers is accomplished by means of square holes in the pillar, backed by floating tapping plates. Lateral adjustment is accomplished by adding or removing shims.Upper Key Cylinder to Latch Link
Remove the tailgate inside trim panel and access cover. Disengage the key cylinder link from the key cylinder. If the door cannot be unlocked or the window cannot be lowered, shorten the rod by turning the adjuster deeper into the threaded portion of the rod. If the door cannot be locked or the window cannot be raised, lengthen the rod by turning the adjuster. Assemble the adjusted link to the key cylinder lever.
The door must lock and unlock and the window must open and close when properly adjusted.Outside Handle to Latch Link
Remove the tailgate inside trim panel and access cover. Disengage the outside handle link at the handle. Close the upper latch. Position the adjuster on the handle lever with no load on the link.
If the release rod is adjusted too long, the tailgate will not lock.
Adjustment is correct if the tailgate can be opened as a door, and the door locks and unlocks properly.Testing
Visually inspect the lever position to the upper left-hand hinge on the tailgate to determine whether or not the lever is fully seated in the correct design position. If the lever is only partially seated, the following adjustment must be made:
- Open the tailgate as a drop gate.
- Remove the tailgate inside handle assembly and trim panel.
- Close the upper right-hand latch on the tailgate.
- Disconnect the upper hinge link rod retainer clip from the lock release control assembly.
- With the upper hinge release link rod in the normal position, turn the adjuster on the threaded end of the rod so that it can be aligned and easily inserted into the lock release control assembly lever.
- Lock the retainer clip assembly over the threaded rod and loosely install the inside handle.
- Open the upper right-hand latch on the tailgate.
- Operate the tailgate as a gate to make sure the gate is not binding and the latches lock and unlock properly.
- Operate the tailgate as a door to make sure that it opens and closes without disengagement. The door must lock and unlock and the window must open and close when properly adjusted.
- Adjust the hinge or striker, as necessary. Install the trim panel.