See Figures 1 and 2
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and safely support the vehicle on jackstands. Loosen the adjusting nut at the adjuster.
- Disconnect the cable from the intermediate or rear cable connector located along the left side frame rail.
- Use a suitable box end wrench to depress the retaining tabs and remove the conduit retainer from the frame. Remove screw holding the plastic inner fender apron to the frame, at the rear of the fender panel.
- Pull back the fender apron. If equipped, remove the spring clip retainer that holds the parking brake cable to the frame.
- Pull the cable through the frame and let it hang in the wheel housing. Lower the vehicle.
- Inside the passenger compartment, remove the sound deadener cover from the cable at the dash panel.
- Remove the spring retainer and cable end from the clevis at the parking brake control.
- Pull the cable until the parking brake control take up spring tang is at full clockwise position. Fabricate a tool from metal of the dimensions shown in the illustration, then use it to retain the reel spring and disconnect the cable from the take up reel.
- Using a suitable box end wrench, depress the retaining tabs and remove the conduit from the control assembly. Push the cable down through the dash panel and remove cable from inside the wheel housing.
- Start the cable through the opening in the dash panel inside the passenger compartment.
- Connect the end of the cable to the parking brake control clevis and secure it with a spring clip. Connect the end of the cable to the parking brake control take up reel.
- Press the tabbed conduit retainer into the parking brake control and install the sound deadener cover patch at the dash panel.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Insert the cable through the frame member toward the rear of the vehicle. Press the tabbed conduit retainer into the frame hole.
- Install the cable-to-frame spring clip retainer behind the fender apron and connect the front cable to the intermediate cable connector on the left side frame rail.
- Connect the control cable to the rear cable connector on the left side frame rail and use pliers to remove the fabricated tool used to retain the take up reel.
- Lower the vehicle. Adjust the parking brake. Check the parking brake operation.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Loosen the cable adjusting nut.
- Disconnect the parking brake release spring at the frame.
- Disconnect the cable from the cable connectors and remove it from the vehicle.
- Attach the intermediate cable to the front and rear cable connectors. Make sure the rearward end of the cable goes through the release spring before attaching the cable to the connector.
- Attach the release spring to the frame.
- Adjust the parking brake and lower the vehicle.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Disconnect the control cable from the rear cable at the connector.
- Unfasten the parking brake release spring at the frame. On vehicles with dual exhaust, disconnect the parking brake cable retainer spring at the frame.
- Disconnect the left cable from the intermediate cable connector. Unfasten the left cable from the right cable at the adjuster bracket.
- Use a suitable box end wrench to depress the tabs and remove the left conduit retainer from the rod adjuster. Remove the cable retainer from the left lower arm.
- Release the right cable tabbed conduit retainer from the frame, using a box end wrench.
- Remove the clip retaining the right cable to the frame crossmember. Remove the cable retainer from the right lower arm and disconnect the cable from the retainer on the right upper arm.
- Loosen the cable retainer from the left shock bracket and disconnect the cable from the retainer on the crossmember and upper control arm clip.
- Remove the wheel and tire assemblies and the brake drums.
- Working on the wheel side of the rear brake, remove the brake automatic adjuster spring. Compress the prongs on the parking brake cable so they can pass through the hole in the backing plate. Pull the cable retainer through the hole.
- With the tension off the cable spring at the parking brake lever, lift the cable end out of the slot in the lever. Remove the cable through the backing plate hole.
- Position the cables approximately in their installed position. Insert enough of the parking brake cable through the backing plate hole, so the cable end can be attached to the parking brake lever on the rear brake shoe.
- Pull the excess slack from the cable wire inside the brake, and push the cable conduit through the backing plate hole until the retainer prongs expand. The prongs must be securely locked in place. Install the automatic brake adjuster spring.
- Install the brake drums and wheel and tire assemblies.
- Attach the right cable to the right upper and lower arms, frame crossmember and through the frame bracket using the existing retaining clips. Press the tabbed retainer into the crossmember hole until it is securely locked into place.
- Secure the right cable to the crossmember retainer hook and through the upper control arm clip. Press the tabbed retainer into the crossmember hole until it is securely locked into place.
- Attach the left cable to the left lower arm with the retainer, and route the cable toward the front of the vehicle. Be sure to route the cable over the right cable. Install the left cable through the flanged hole in the adjuster and press the tabbed retainer into place.
- Secure fit cable to the drum backing plate and route the cable toward the front of the vehicle under the right cable between the stabilizer bar stud and shock. Connect the right cable end to the equalizer bracket (part of the left cable).
- Connect the left cable end to the connector at the intermediate cable. Insert the threaded rod of the right cable through the 2 holes in the adjuster. Loosely attach the adjuster nut.
- Install the cable release springs to the frame attaching hole and adjust the parking brake. On 1990-91 vehicles, connect the rear cable connector to the control cable.
- Lower the vehicle. Check the operation of the parking brake control.
- Make sure the parking brake is fully released.
- Place the transmission in N . Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Tighten the adjusting nut against the cable equalizer, causing a rear wheel brake drag. Loosen the adjusting nut until the rear brakes are fully released. There should be no brake drag.
- Lower the vehicle and check the operation of the parking brake.
The following procedure is to be used only if a new parking brake control assembly is installed. All components of the parking brake system must be installed prior to the adjustment procedure. The parking brake control with automatic tensioning is preset by means of a shipping clip. The following procedure must be followed in sequence and must be done with the vehicle weight on the axle.
- Verify removal of the shipping clip. The take up reel will apply tension to the system.
- Depress the parking brake control to the 8th notch.
- Push the parking brake control pedal to release.
Check function as follows:
- Apply the parking brake with a full stroke, to the 9th or 10th notch.
- Release the parking brake by shifting the vehicle into a forward gear with the engine running. The control must release.
- Apply the parking brake with a full stroke, to the 9th or 10th notch.
- Manually release the parking brake with the push to release feature.
With the control in the OFF position, the rear brakes must not drag. Check for movement of the rear cables from their conduits when the intermediate cable is deflected with a force of 10-15 lbs. (13-19 N).