REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise the vehicle and support it on jackstands placed under the frame.
- Remove the rear wheels.
- Place an indexing mark on the rear yoke and driveshaft, and disconnect the shaft.
- Disconnect the shock absorbers from the axle tubes. Disconnect the stabilizer bar at the axle bracket, on vehicles so equipped.
- Disconnect the brake hose from the tee fitting on the axle housing. Disconnect the brake lines at the clips on the housing. Disconnect the vent tube at the axle.
- Disconnect the parking brake cable at the frame mounting.
- Support the rear axle with a jack.
- Disconnect the lower control arms at the axle and swing them down out of the way.
- Disconnect the upper control arms at the axle and swing them up out of the way.
- Lower the axle slightly, remove the coil springs and insulators.
- Lower the axle housing.
- Raise the axle into position and connect the lower arms. Don't tighten the bolts yet.
- Lower the axle slightly and install the coil springs and insulators.
- Raise the axle and connect the upper control arms. Don't tighten the bolts yet.
- Connect the parking brake cable at the frame mounting.
- Connect the brake hose at the tee fitting on the axle housing.
- Connect the vent tube at the axle. Apply thread locking compound to the threads.
- Connect the stabilizer bar at the axle bracket, on vehicles so equipped.
- Connect the shock absorbers from the axle tubes.
- Connect the driveshaft.
- Install the rear wheels.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Once the car is back on its wheels, observe the following torques:
Removable carrier axles:
Integral carrier axles:
Bleed and adjust the brakes accordingly.1988 Models
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Position safety stands under the rear frame crossmember.
- Remove the cover and drain the axle lubricant.
- Remove the wheel and tire assemblies. Remove the brake drums or brake rotors.
- Remove the lockbolt from the pinion shaft and remove the shaft.
- Push the axle shafts inward to remove the C-locks and remove the axle shafts.
- If necessary, remove the bolt attaching the brake junction block to rear cover. Remove the brake lines from the clips and position out of the way.
- If equipped with drum brakes, remove the 4 retaining nuts from each backing plate and wire the backing plate to the underbody.
- Matchmark the driveshaft yoke and companion flange. Disconnect the driveshaft at the companion flange and wire it to the underbody.
- Support the axle housing with jackstands. Disengage the brake line from the clips that retain the line to the axle housing.
- Disconnect the axle vents from the rear axle housing.
Some axle vents may be secured to the housing assembly through the brake junction block. At assembly, a thread lock/sealer must be applied to ensure retention.
- Disconnect the lower shock absorber studs from the mounting brackets on the axle housing.
- Disconnect the upper arms from the mountings on the axle housing ear brackets.
- Lower the axle housing assembly until the coil springs are released and lift out the coil springs.
- Disconnect the suspension lower arms at the axle housing.
- Lower the axle housing and remove it from the vehicle.
- Position the axle housing under the vehicle and raise the axle with a hoist or jack. Connect the lower suspension arms to their mounting brackets on the axle housing. Do not tighten the bolts and nuts at this time.
- Reposition the rear coil springs.
- Raise the housing into position.
- Connect the upper arms to the mounting ears on the housing. Tighten the nuts and bolts to 103-133 ft. lbs. (134-173 Nm). Tighten the lower arm bolts and nuts to 103-133 ft. lbs. (134-173 Nm).
- Install the axle vent and the the brake line to the clips that retain the line to the axle housing.
- If equipped with drum brakes, install the brake backing plates on the axle housing flanges. Install the disc brake adapters and tighten the nuts to 20-29 ft. lbs. (26-38 Nm). Install the disc brake adapter brackets, bolts and J-nuts. Tighten to 20-39 ft. lbs. (26-51 Nm).
- Connect the lower shock absorber studs to the mounting bracket on the axle housing.
- Connect the driveshaft to the companion flange and tighten the bolts and nuts to 70-95 ft. lbs. (91-123 Nm).
- Slide the rear axle shafts into the housing until the splines enter the side gear. Push the axle shafts inward and install the C-lock at the end of each shaft spline. Pull the shafts outboard until the C-lock enters the recess in the side gears.
- Install the pinion shaft and the pinion shaft lock bolt. Tighten to 15-30 ft. lbs. (19-39 Nm).
- Install the rear brake drums or disc brake rotors and calipers.
- Install the rear carrier cover using new silicone sealer. Tighten to 15 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
- Install the brake junction block on the carrier cover and tighten to 10-18 ft. lbs. (13-23 Nm).
- Fill the axle with lubricant to the bottom of the filler hole. Install the filler plug and tighten to 15-30 ft. lbs. (19-39 Nm).
- Lower the vehicle.