See Figures 1, 2 and 3
All engines are equipped with a dry type, replaceable air filter element. The element should be replaced at the recommended intervals shown on the Maintenance Interval Chart. If your vehicle is operated under severely dusty conditions or severe operating conditions, more frequent changes are necessary. Inspect the element at least twice a year. Early spring and at the beginning of fall are good times for the inspection. Remove the element and check for holes in the filter. Check the cleaner housing for signs of dirt or dust that has leaked through the filter element. Place a light on the inside of the element and look through the filter at the light. If no glow of light can be seen through the element material, replace the filter. If holes in the filter are apparent or signs of dirt leakage through the filter are noticed, replace the filter.
When servicing the air filter element make sure that the air cleaner cover is properly installed.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Air Filter Element
See Figures 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11
- Identify and tag all hoses at the assembly. Disconnect all hoses, ducts and vacuum tubes from the air cleaner assembly.
- Remove the top cover wing nut or clips and grommet (if equipped). Remove the side bracket retaining bolts (if equipped).
- Remove the cover and the element, wipe clean all inside surfaces of the air cleaner housing and cover.
- If necessary, remove the air cleaner assembly from the top of the carburetor or intake assembly.
- Check the condition of the mounting gasket (cleaner base to carburetor). Replace the mounting gasket if it is worn or broken.
- Install a new mounting gasket if needed. Place and position the new air filter in the housing.
- Position the cleaner assembly, element and cover on the carburetor or intake assembly.
- Reconnect all hoses, duct and vacuum hoses removed. Tighten the wing nut finger-tight or secure the clips, if equipped.
See Figures 12, 13 and 14
Replace or inspect the air cleaner mounted crankcase ventilation filter (on models equipped) at the same time the air cleaner filter element is serviced. To replace the filter, simply remove the air cleaner top cover and pull the filter from its housing. Push a new filter into the housing and install the air cleaner cover. If the filter and plastic holder need replacement, remove the clip securing the breather hose to the air cleaner housing, and remove the assembly from the air cleaner. Installation is the reverse of removal. Refer to the illustrations as necessary.