Ford Full-Size Cars 1968-1988 Repair Guide



Don't run an engine in a garage or anywhere else without proper ventilation EVER! Carbon monoxide is poisonous. It is absorbed by the body 400 times faster than oxygen. It takes a long time to leave the body and you can build up a deadly supply of it in you system by simply breathing in a little every day. You may not realize you are slowly poisoning yourself. Always use power vents, windows, fans or open the garage doors.
Don't work around moving parts while wearing a necktie or other loose clothing. Short sleeves are much safer than long, loose sleeves. Hard-toed shoes with neoprene soles protect your toes and give a better grip on slippery surfaces. Jewelry such as watches, fancy belt buckles, beads or body adornment of any kind is not safe to wear when working around a car. Long hair should be kept under a hat or cap.
Don't use pockets as toolboxes. A fall or bump can drive a screwdriver deep into you body. Even a wiping cloth hanging from the back pocket can wrap around a spinning shaft or fan.
Don't smoke when working around gasoline, cleaning solvent or other flammable material.
Don't smoke when working around the battery. When the battery is being charged, it gives off explosive hydrogen gas.
Don't use gasoline to wash your hands. There are many excellent soaps available.
Don't service the air conditioning system unless you are equipped with the necessary tools, training and certification. The refrigerants, R-12, if available, are extremely cold and when exposed to the air, will instantly freeze any surface they come in contact with, including eyes. Although the refrigerant is normally nontoxic, R-12 becomes a deadly poisonous gas in the presence of an open flame. One good whiff of the vapors from burning refrigerant can be fatal.