Should excessive steering lash be encountered, an adjustment may be required. Adjust the excessive lash between the sector and rack teeth as follows:
- Disconnect the pitman arm from the sector shaft.
- Disconnect the fluid return line at the reservoir. Cap the reservoir return line pipe.
- Place the end of the return line in a clean container and turn the steering wheel from left stop to right stop several times to discharge the fluid from the gear.
- Turn the steering wheel to 45 degrees from the left stop.
- Using an inch pound torque wrench on the steering wheel nut, determine the torque required to rotate the shaft slowly approximately 1 / 4 turn from the 45 degree position. If equipped with tilt column, place the steering wheel in the center tilt position.
- Turn the steering wheel back to center and determine the torque required to rotate the shaft back and forth across the center position. If the reading is excessive, loosen the nut and turn the adjuster screw until the reading is to specification. Tighten the wheel nut while holding the screw in place.
- Install the pitman arm and steering wheel hub cover.
- Connect the fluid return line to the reservoir and fill the reservoir. Check the belt tension and adjust, if necessary.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the stone shield.
- Tag the pressure and return lines so they may be reassembled in their original positions.
- Disconnect the pressure and return lines from the steering gear. Plug the lines and ports in the gear to prevent the entry of dirt.
- Remove the clamp bolts retaining the flexible coupling to the steering gear.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the nut from the sector shaft.
- Remove the pitman arm from the sector shaft with pitman arm removal tool T64P-3590-F or equivalent. Remove the tool from the pitman arm.
- Support the steering gear and remove the steering gear retaining bolts.
- Work the gear free of the flex coupling and remove the gear.
- If the flex coupling did not come off with the gear, lift it off the shaft.
- Turn the steering wheel to the straight-ahead position.
- Position the steering gear input shaft as shown in the illustration.
- Slide the steering gear input shaft into the flex coupling and into place on the frame side rail. Install the retaining bolts and tighten to 50-65 ft. lbs. (68-88 Nm).
- Make sure the wheels are in the straight-ahead position. Install the pitman arm on the sector shaft and install the lockwasher and nut. Tighten the nut to 233-250 ft. lbs. (316-338 Nm).
- Move the flex coupling into place on the steering gear input shaft. Install the retaining bolt and tighten to 20-30 ft. lbs. (27-41 Nm).
- Connect the pressure and return lines to the steering gear and tighten the lines. Fill the reservoir and turn the steering wheel from stop-to-stop to distribute the fluid. Check the fluid level and add fluid, if necessary.
- Start the engine and turn the steering wheel from left to right. Check for leaks. Install the stone shield.