See Figure 1
Intermediate band adjustment is possible only on the C6 transmission.
- Raise the van on a hoist or jackstands.
- Clean all dirt away from the band adjusting screw. Remove and discard the locknut.
- Install a new locknut and tighten the adjusting screw to 10 ft. lbs. (13 Nm).
- Back off the adjusting screw exactly 1 1 / 2 turns.
- Hold the adjusting screw from turning and tighten the locknut to 35-40 ft. lbs. (47-54 Nm).
- Remove the jackstands and lower the vehicle.
See Figures 2, 3 and 4
- With the engine stopped, place the transmission selector lever at the steering column in the D position for the C6 or the D overdrive position for the AOD and E4OD, and hold the lever against the stop by hanging an 8 lb. weight from the lever handle.
- Loosen the shift rod adjusting nut at the transmission lever.
- Shift the manual lever at the transmission to the D position, two detents from the rear.
- With the selector lever and transmission manual lever in the D or D overdrive position, tighten the adjusting nut to 12-18 ft. lbs. (16-24 Nm). Do not allow the rod or shift lever to move while tightening the nut. Remove the weight.
- Check the operation of the shift linkage.
- With the engine stopped, place the transmission selector lever at the steering column in the D position for the C6 or the D overdrive position for the, 4R70W and E4OD.
- Hang a 3 lb. (1.4 kg) weight on the end of the shift lever.
- Pry the end of the shift cable from the transmission control lever ball stud.
- Unlock the adjuster body, release the lock tab on the top side of the cable by pushing down on the 2 tangs.
- Check to be sure the cable moves freely without binding.
- Move the lever on the transmission all the way rearward and then 3 detent positions forward.
- Holding the cable end fitting, push the cable rearward until the end fitting lines up with the manual control lever ball stud.
- Push up on the lock tab to lock the adjuster body in the correctly adjusted position. Be sure the locator tab is properly seated in the bracket.
- Make certain the shift cable is clipped to the floor pan at the white cable mark and the cable is routed into the tunnel.
- Adjust the shift indicator pointer while the transmission is still in the overdrive position.
- Remove the weight and check the control lever in all shift positions.
THROTTLE VALVE LINKAGE
WITH ENGINE OFF
See Figures 5, 6 and 7
- Set the parking brake and put the selector lever in Neutral .
- Remove the protective cover from the cable.
- Make sure that the throttle lever is at the idle stop. If it isn't, check for binding or interference. NEVER ATTEMPT TO ADJUST THE IDLE STOP!
- Make sure that the cable is free of sharp bends or is not rubbing on anything throughout its entire length.
- Lubricate the TV lever ball stud with chassis lube.
- Unlock the locking tab at the throttle body by prying with a small screwdriver.
- Install a spring on the TV control lever, to hold it in the rearmost travel position. The spring must exert at least 10 lbs. of force on the lever.
- Rotate the transmission outer TV lever 10-30° and slowly allow it to return.
- Push down on the locking tab until flush.
- Remove the retaining spring from the lever.
THROTTLE KICKDOWN LINKAGE
- Move the carburetor throttle linkage to the wide open position.
- Insert a 0.060 in. thick spacer between the throttle lever and the kickdown adjusting screw.
- Rotate the transmission kickdown lever until the lever engages the transmission internal stop. Do not use the kickdown rod to turn the transmission lever.
- Turn the adjusting screw until it contacts the 0.060 in. spacer.
- Remove the spacer.