REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
The regulator is mounted on the back of the alternator.
- Disconnect the diode trio lead from the regulator terminal.
- Remove the 2 nuts retaining the regulator and jumper leads.
- Carefully pull the regulator from its holder.
The brushes will snap together when the regulator is removed. They can now be checked for length. Brush length minimum is 0.188 in. (4.76mm).To install:
- Push the brushes back into their holders and insert a suitable pin through the hole in the housing. This will hold the brushes in place.
- Carefully push the regulator into place and just start the retaining nuts. Remove the brush holding pin and then tighten the retaining nuts.
- Connect the diode trio leads.
See Figures 3 and 4
- Loosen the four Torx® screws retaining the regulator to the rear of the alternator.
- Remove the regulator with the brush holder attached.
- Hold the regulator in one hand and use a prytool to disengage the cap covering the A screw head.
- Loosen the two Torx® screws engaging the regulator to the brush holder, then separate the regulator from the brush holder.
- Engage the brush holder to the regulator and tighten the screws.
- Install the cap covering the A screw.
- Depress the brushes into the holder and hold the brushes in place by inserting a regular size paper clip, or its equivalent, through the location holes in the brushes.
- Install the regulator and brush holder assembly, then tighten the screws to 20-30 inch lbs. (2.3-3.4 Nm).
- Remove the paper clip or its equivalent from the regulator.
See Figures 5 through 9
Battery removal may be necessary to access the regulator. If not, disconnect the negative battery cable and skip to Step 2.
- Disconnect the negative and then the positive battery cables from the battery. Unfasten and remove the battery.
- Loosen the regulator mounting retainers.
- Disengage the regulator electrical connection and remove the regulator.
- Engage the electrical connection to the regulator.
- Install the regulator and tighten the retainers.
- If applicable, install the battery and fasten it securely.
- Connect the positive (if applicable) and then the negative battery cable(s).