REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
E-Super Duty Model
This procedure only applies to vehicles equipped with a transmission mounted parking brake.
A transmission mounted parking brake is used on some E-super duty models. The unit is mounted to the transmission extension housing; it incorporates a case assembly and a cable actuated drum brake assembly.
The replacement of the parking brake shoes involves the removal and disassembly of the unit and requires the use of several specialized tools. The cost of purchasing the tools needed for this procedure far outweighs the cost of having the unit repaired by a shop; therefore, we recommend that you have this procedure performed by a qualified technician or shop.
See Figure 1
- Place the transmission in Neutral, then raise the van and support it with safety stands.
- Loosen the adjusting clevis jam nut several turns.
- Disconnect the parking brake lever return spring from the clevis pin.
- Remove the self-locking and clevis pins from the clevis.
- Hold the lever in the applied position and screw the clevis onto the threaded end of the parking brake cable until the actuating lever hole and clevis lever holes align.
- Lengthen the parking brake cable 0.5 inch (13mm).
- Position the clevis over the lever and install the clevis and self-locking pins.
- Connect the return spring to the head of the clevis pin.
- Rotate the driveshaft to ensure the brake shoes are not dragging against the drum.
- Lower the van and check for proper parking brake operation.