REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
The 7.3L diesel engines use a one-piece spin-on fuel filter. Do not add fuel to the new fuel filter. Allow the engine to draw fuel through the filter.
- Disconnect the negative battery cables.
- Place a suitable container under the filter and drain the fuel from the filter by opening the water separator drain valve.
- Remove the drain tube, then unscrew the water separator from the bottom of the filter.
- Remove the spin-on filter by unscrewing it counterclockwise with your hands or a strap wrench.
- Clean the filter mounting surface.
- Coat the gasket or the replacement filter with clean diesel fuel. This helps ensure a good seal.
- Tighten the filter by hand until the gasket touches the filter mounting surface.
- Tighten the filter an additional 180-300°.
- Apply clean diesel fuel to the water separator seal and install it to the bottom of the fuel filter.
- Connect the drain tube and make sure all drain valves are closed.
- Connect the negative battery cables and check for leaks.
After changing the fuel filter, the engine will purge the trapped air as it runs. The engine may run roughly and smoke excessively until the air is cleared from the system.1995-96 MODELS
See Figure 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.