REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the battery ground cable.
- Remove the steering column shroud and lower the steering column.
- Disconnect the switch wiring at the multiple plug.
- Remove the two nuts that retain the switch to the steering column.
- Lift the switch vertically upward to disengage the actuator rod from the switch and remove the switch.
- When installing the ignition switch, both the locking mechanism at the top of the column and the switch itself must be in the LOCK position for correct adjustment. To hold the mechanical parts of the column in the LOCK position, move the shift lever into PARK (with automatic transmissions) or REVERSE (with manual transmissions), turn the key to the LOCK position, and remove the key. New replacement switches, when received, are already pinned in the LOCK position by a metal shipping pin inserted in a locking hole on the side of the switch.
- Engage the actuator rod in the switch.
- Position the switch on the column and install the retaining nuts, but do not tighten them.
- Move the switch up and down along the column to locate the mid-position of rod lash, and then tighten the retaining nuts, top nut first to 40-65 in. lbs. (4.5-7.3 Nm).
- Remove the locking pin, connect the battery cable, and check for proper start in PARK or NEUTRAL.-Also check to make certain that the start circuit cannot be actuated in the DRIVE and REVERSE position.
- Raise the steering column into position at instrument panel. Install steering column shroud.
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the positive battery cable from the starter relay.
- Remove the steering wheel.
- If necessary, lower the steering column for clearance.
- Remove the steering column shroud.
- Disengage the electrical connections from the switch.
- Loosen the retainers and remove the ignition switch.
- Install the switch. Align the pin from the switch with the slot in the column/lock assembly.
- Position the slot with the index mark on the casting. The ignition switch should be in the run position.
- Tighten the switch retainers to 44-62 in. lbs. (5-7 Nm).
- Install the column shroud.
- If lowered, raise the steering column and install the retainers.
- Install the steering wheel.
- Connect the battery to the starter relay, start the van and check for proper operation.