REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Ford Integral Power Steering Gear
See Figures 1 and 2
- Raise and support the front end on jackstands.
- Place the wheels in the straight-ahead position.
- Place a drain pan under the gear and disconnect the pressure and return lines. Cap the openings.
- Remove the splash shield from the flex coupling.
- Disconnect the flex coupling at the gear.
- Matchmark and remove the Pitman arm from the sector shaft.
- Support the steering gear and remove the mounting bolts.
- Remove the steering gear. It may be necessary to work it free of the flex coupling.
- Place the splash shield on the steering gear lugs.
- Slide the flex coupling into place on the steering shaft. Make sure the steering wheel spokes are still horizontal.
- Center the steering gear input shaft with the indexing flat facing downward.
- Slide the steering gear input shaft into the flex coupling and into place on the frame side rail. Install the flex coupling bolt and tighten it to 20-35 ft. lbs. (28-47 Nm).
- Install the gear mounting bolts and tighten them to 54-66 ft. lbs. (74-89 Nm).
- Make sure that the wheels are still straight-ahead and install the Pitman arm. Tighten the nut to 230 ft. lbs. (312 Nm).
- Connect the pressure line, and then the return line. Tighten the pressure line to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
- Snap the flex coupling shield into place.
- Fill the steering reservoir.
- Run the engine and turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock several times to expel air. Check for leaks.