REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
All Engines Except V6
See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the oil pan.
- Remove the oil pump inlet tube and screen assembly.
- Remove the oil pump attaching bolts and remove the oil pump gasket and the intermediate shaft.
- Prime the oil pump by filling the inlet and outlet ports with engine oil and rotating the pump shaft to distribute it.
- Position the intermediate driveshaft into the distributor socket.
- Position a new gasket on the pump body and insert the intermediate driveshaft into the pump body.
- Install the pump and intermediate shaft as an assembly.
Install and torque the oil pump attaching screws to:
4-Cylinder and L6 Engines-12-15 ft. lbs. (16-19 Nm)
- Install the oil pan.
See Figure 3
The oil pump is mounted in the front cover assembly. Oil pan removal is only necessary for pick-up tube/screen replacement or service.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle on jackstands.
- Remove the oil filter.
- Remove the cover/filter mount assembly.
- Lift the two pump gears from their mounting pocket in the front cover.
- Clean all gasket mounting surfaces.
- Inspect the mounting pocket for wear. If excessive wear is present, complete timing cover assembly replacement is necessary.
- Inspect the cover/filter mounting gasket-to-timing cover surface for flatness. Place a straightedge across the flat and check the clearance with a feeler gauge. If the measured clearance exceeds 0.004 in. (0.102mm), replace the cover/filter mount.
- Replace the pump gears if wear is excessive.
- Remove the plug from the end of the pressure relief valve passage using a small drill and slide hammer. Use caution when drilling.
- Remove the spring and valve from the bore. Clean all dirt, gum and metal chips from the bore and valve. Inspect all parts for wear. Replace as necessary.
- Install the valve and spring after lubricating them with engine oil. Install a new plug flush with the machined surface.
- Install the pump gears and fill the pocket with petroleum jelly. Install the cover/filter mount using a new mounting gasket. Tighten the mounting bolts to 18-22 ft. lbs. (23-29 Nm). Install the oil filter and add oil, as necessary, to maintain the correct level.