REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
Before starting removal/service procedures, clean the area around the turbocharger with a non-caustic solution. Cover the openings of component connections to prevent the entry of dirt and foreign materials. Exercise care when handling the turbocharger not to nick, bend or in any way damage the compressor wheel blades.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Loosen the upper clamp on the turbocharger inlet hose. Remove the two bolts mounting the throttle body discharge tube to the turbo.
- Label for identification and location all vacuum hoses and tubes to the turbo and disconnect them.
- Disconnect the PCV tube from the turbo air inlet elbow. Remove the throttle body discharge tube and hose as an assembly.
- Disconnect the ground wire from the air inlet elbow. Remove (disconnect) the water outlet connection (and fitting if a new turbo unit is to be installed) from the turbo center housing.
- Remove the turbo oil supply feed line. Disconnect the oxygen sensor connector at the turbocharger.
- Raise and support the front of the vehicle on jackstands. Disconnect the exhaust pipe from the turbocharger.
- Disconnect the oil return line from the bottom of the turbocharger. Take care not to damage or kink the line.
- Disconnect the water inlet tube at the turbo center housing.
- Remove the lower turbo mounting bracket-to-engine bolt. Lower the vehicle from the stands.
- Remove the lower front mounting nut. Remove the three remaining mounting nuts evenly while sliding the turbocharger away from mounting.
- Position a new turbocharger mounting gasket in position with the bead side facing outward. Install the turbocharger in position over the four mounting studs.
- Position the lower mounting bracket over the two bottom studs. Using new nuts, start the two lower then the two upper mountings. Do not tighten them completely at this time; allow for slight turbo movement.
- Raise and support the front of the vehicle on jackstands.
- Install and tighten the lower gasket and connect the return line. Tighten the mounting bolts to 14-21 ft. lbs. (18-27 Nm).
- Connect the water inlet tube assembly. Install the exhaust pipe on turbo. Tighten the mounting nuts to 25-35 ft. lbs. (32-45 Nm).
- Lower the vehicle. Tighten the turbo mounting nut to 28-40 ft. lbs (36-52 Nm).
- Connect the water outlet assembly to the turbocharger, tighten the fasteners to 11-14 ft. lbs. (14-18 Nm). Hold the fitting with a wrench when tightening the line.
- Install the air inlet tube to the turbo inlet elbow, and tighten to 15-22 ft. lbs. 19-29 Nm. Tighten the clamp.
- Connect the PCV tube and all vacuum lines.
- Connect the oxygen sensor and other wiring and lines.
- Connect the oil supply line. Connect the intake tube. Fill the cooling system.
- Connect the negative battery cable. Start the engine and check for coolant leaks. Check vehicle operation.