REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Remove the air cleaner assembly and mounting brackets, if mounted on the valve cover.
- Label (for identification) then remove all wires and vacuum hoses interfering with valve cover removal. Disconnect the PCV hose at the valve cover elbow. Remove the accelerator control cable bracket if necessary.
4-cylinder turbocharged models require removal of the air intake tube and air throttle body.
- Remove the valve cover retaining bolts. The front bolts equipped with rubber sealing washers must be installed in the same location to prevent oil leakage.
- Unfasten any bolts and clamps securing hot water pipes to the valve cover. Reposition the pipes and any wiring harnesses to permit removal of the valve cover.
- Remove the valve cover. Clean all old gasket material from the valve cover and cylinder head gasket surfaces.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Be sure to use a new valve cover gasket. Coat the gasket contact surfaces of the valve cover and the Up side of the valve cover gasket with oil resistant sealing compound. When installing the valve cover gasket, make sure all the gasket locating tangs are engaged in the cover notches provided. Tighten the bolts to 6-8 ft. lbs (8-10 Nm).
- Remove the air cleaner and heat chamber air inlet hose, if equipped.
- Remove the automatic choke tube, if equipped, and the fresh air tube from the valve cover.
- If equipped with a PCV valve, remove it from the valve cover.
- Remove the Thermactor® bypass valve and air supply hoses, as needed.
- Disconnect and mark the spark plug wires. Remove the wire bracket if necessary.
- Remove any other components if additional access is required. Remove the valve cover retaining bolts and the valve cover.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the bolts in two steps. First, tighten the bolts to 3-5 ft. lbs. (4-6 Nm) and, two minutes later, tighten them to the same specification.
Always use new gasket(s) when installing the valve covers. Install the gasket(s) according to the manufacturer instructions.V6 and V8 Engines
See Figures 2, 3, 4 and 5
When disconnecting wires and vacuum lines, label them for reinstallation identification.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly, except if equipped with Multi-Port Fuel Injection (MPFI).
- If equipped with MPFI, remove the upper intake manifold assembly.
On the right side:
- Disconnect the automatic choke heat chamber hose from the inlet tube near the right valve cover.
- Remove the automatic choke heat tube if equipped and remove the PCV valve and hose from the valve cover. Disconnect the EGR valve hoses.
- Remove the Thermactor® bypass valve and air supply hoses as necessary to gain clearance.
- Disconnect the spark plug wires from the plugs. Twist then pull on the boots only, never on the wire. Position the wires and mounting bracket out of the way.
Remove the valve cover mounting bolts, then the valve cover. A plastic-faced hammer may be needed to loosen the cover from the gasket.
- On the left side:
- Clean all old gasket material from the valve cover and cylinder head mounting surfaces.
- Installation is the reverse of removal procedure. Tighten all retaining bolts to 10-13 ft. lbs. (14-18 Nm). Use oil resistant sealing compound and a new valve cover gasket. Follow the gasket manufacturer instruction when installing the gasket. When positioning the valve cover gasket, make sure all the gasket tangs are engaged into the cover notches provided.