REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Open the trunk lid. Mark the position of the trunk lid relative to the trunk lid hinges.
- Protect the body fenders with covers to prevent damage to the paint.
- Scribe marks around the retaining bolts with a marker pen as reference points when installing.
- With the help of an assistant, remove the 2 bolts attaching each hinge to the trunk lid, being careful not to let the trunk lid slip when the bolts are removed.
- Remove the trunk lid from the vehicle.
- With the help of an assistant, position the trunk lid on its hinges and install the attaching bolts. Remove the body covers.
- Adjust the trunk lid's position in the trunk lid opening.
- Adjust the trunk lid latch and/or striker, if necessary.
Trunk Lid Alignment
The trunk lid can be shifted fore-and-aft by loosening the hinge-to-trunk lid retaining screws. The up and down adjustment is made by loosening the hinge-to-trunk lid retaining screws and raising or lowering the trunk lid.
The trunk lid should be adjusted for an even and parallel fit with the trunk lid opening. The trunk lid should also be adjusted up and down for a flush fit with the surrounding panels. Be careful not to damage the trunk lid or surrounding body panels.Trunk Lid Latch/Striker
The latch assembly is fixed and not adjustable on all vehicles. Any latch adjustment must be made at the striker.
Before adjusting the striker, open and close the trunk lid to double-check the striker alignment. Remove the scuff plate striker covering, if equipped, before attempting any striker adjustment.
Loosen the 2 screw and washer assemblies and adjust the striker by moving up and down or from side-to-side as necessary. Tighten the screw and washer assemblies to 7-10 ft. lbs. (9-4 Nm).
Do not try to correct a poor trunk lid alignment with a latch striker adjustment.
TRUNK LID TORSION BAR LOADING ADJUSTMENT
See Figures 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Open the luggage compartment deck lid and note the pop-up distance of the deck lid. The deck lid should have finger clearance. If not, the torsion bar tension should be increased. If the deck lid pops open with more than necessary force, the torsion bar tension should be decreased.
- Support the deck lid in the fully open position before adjusting the torsion bar.
- To adjust a torsion bar, use a suitable tool designed to safely perform the adjustment. Then move the torsion bar end to another position (notch) to increase or decrease the tension. Refer to the tool illustration.
- Adjust one torsion bar and check the adjustment before adjusting the other torsion bar.
- After torsion bar adjustment, the difference of the position of the torsion bar ends, between the right and left side, must not be more than one slot.