REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3Core and Casing
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- If necessary, remove the dash panel and/or instrument cluster to access the speedometer cable and case.
- Reach up behind the speedometer and depress the flat, quick-disconnect tab, while pulling back on the cable.
- Push the cable and grommet through the opening in the floorpan or dash panel.
- Raise and safely support the car on jackstands and disengage the cable from all retaining clips.
- Remove the speedometer cable mounting bolt and clip at the transmission, then pull the cable from the transmission.
On vehicles equipped with cruise control, remove the speedometer cable by pulling it out of the speed sensor. Do not attempt to remove the spring retainer clip with the cable attached to the sensor.
- Remove the speedometer cable from the vehicle.
- Insert the new speedometer cable through the O-ring and into the speedometer driven gear. On vehicles equipped with cruise control, insert the cable into the speed sensor.
- Attach the speedometer cable mounting bolt and clip at the transmission.
- Engage the cable in the retaining clips and route it through the opening in the floorpan or dash panel. Be careful to observe the proper routing, particularly in relation to other cables. Push the grommet in place.
- Lower the vehicle and remove the jackstands.
- Apply a 3 / 16 in. (4.76mm) diameter ball of Silicone Damping Grease (part no. D7AZ-19A331-A or equivalent) in the drive hole of the speedometer head.
- Push connect the speedometer cable to the speedometer head. Install the instrument cluster or any dash panels which were removed.
- Connect the negative battery cable.