REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 71971-78 Models
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the steering wheel as previously outlined.
- Unscrew the turn signal lever from the side of the column. Remove the emergency flasher retainer and knob, if so equipped.
- Locate and remove the finish cover on the steering column and disconnect the wiring connector plugs.
- On all 1971 and models with a tilt steering column it is necessary to separate the wires from the connector plug in order to remove the switch and wires. First note the location and color code of each wire, prior to removal. Remove the plastic cover from the wiring harness. Attach a piece of heavy cord to the switch wires to pull them down through the column during installation.
- Remove the retaining clips and screws from the turn signal switch and lift the switch and wire assembly from the top of the column.
- Tape the ends of the new switch wires together and transfer the pull cord to these wires.
- Pull the wires down through the column with the cord and attach the new switch to the column hub.
- If the switch wires were separated from the connector plug, press the wires into their proper location. Connect the wiring connector plugs and install the finish cover on the column.
- Install the turn signal lever. Install the emergency flasher retainer and knob, if so equipped.
- Install the steering wheel as outlined in this section.
- Connect the negative battery cable and test the operation of the turn signals, horn, emergency flashers, and speed control, if equipped.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. On standard steering columns, remove the upper extension shroud (below the steering wheel) by unsnapping the shroud from the retaining clip. On tilt columns, remove the trim shroud by removing the five self-tapping screws.
- Use a pulling and twisting motion, while pulling straight out, to remove the turn signal switch lever.
- Peel back the piece of foam rubber from around the switch.
- Disconnect the two switch electrical connectors.
- Remove the two self-tapping screws which secure the switch to the lock cylinder housing, and disengage the switch from the housing.
- Align the switch mounting holes with the corresponding holes in the lock cylinder housing. Install the two screws.
- Position the foam back into place.
- Align the key on the turn signal lever with the keyway in the switch and push the lever into place.
- Install the two electrical connectors.
- Install the trim shrouds.