Solid or Cable Link Types
See Figures 1 and 2
- Place the transmission shift lever in OVERDRIVE. Be certain the selector is tight against the rearward stop.
- Raise the vehicle and loosen the manual lever shift rod retaining nut or the manual lever shift calbe retaining nut, whichever is applicable. Move the transmission lever to the OVERDRIVE position. OVERDRIVE is the third detent from the full counterclockwise position.
- With the shift lever and the transmission manual lever in position, tighten the retaining nut to 10-19 ft. lbs. (13-27 Nm).
- Check transmission operation for all selector lever detent positions.
THROTTLE VALVE (TV) CABLE
See Figure 3
- Set the parking brake and put the selector lever in N .
- Remove the protective cover from the cable.
- Make sure that the throttle lever is at the idle stop. If it isn't, check for binding or interference. NEVER attempt to adjust the idle stop.
- Make sure the cable is free of sharp bends or is not rubbing on anything throughout its entire length.
- Lubricate the TV lever ball stud with chassis lube.
- Unlock the locking tab at the throttle body by prying with a small, flat tool.
- Install a spring on the TV control lever, to hold it in the rearmost-travel position. The spring must exert at least 10 lbs. (4.5 Kg) of force on the lever.
- Rotate the transmission outer TV lever 10-30 degrees and allow it to return.
- Push down on the locking tab until flush.
- Remove the retaining spring from the lever.