See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable for safety.
- Remove the flywheel or flexplate for access to the rear main seal.
- Carefully punch 2 holes in the crankshaft rear oil seal on opposite sides of the crankshaft, just above the bearing cap to cylinder
block split line. Install a sheet metal screw in each of the holes or use a small slide hammer to pry the crankshaft rear main oil seal from the block.
Use extreme caution not to scratch the crankshaft oil seal surface.To install:
- Clean the oil seal recess in the cylinder block and main bearing cap.
- Coat the seal and the seal mounting surfaces with oil.
- Position the seal on rear main seal installer T82L-6701-A, or equivalent, then position the tool and seal to the rear of the engine.
- Alternate bolt tightening to seat the seal properly. The rear face of the seal must be within 0.005 in. (0.127mm) of the
rear face of the block.
- Install the flywheel or flexplate, as applicable.
- Connect the negative battery cable.